When going into this process, you need to identify both the obvious and not so obvious! Below are 7 items for you to consider before launching your project.
Define physical properties and consider the following
- Caliber of strength
- Degree of stiffness
- Electrical needs
- Does it need to be flame retardant?
- How impact resistant should it be?
- What type of chemical exposure will it face?
- UV-Define Failure-Color, Stress Cracking, Material/Property Degradation
- Temperature-operating requirements
- Temperature-Failure analysis
- Surface appearance
Regulatory/agency compliance to consider
- What is the cost of the product?
- How will you price the product for sale?
- Does it fit injection molding capabilities
- Include a mold flow analysis
- Will identified resin lend itself to design?
What is the Project origin?
- New Product or application
- New Product replacing alternative material
- New Project design
- Metal-to-Plastic conversion
These are some of the things you must look at when deciding to injection mold a component. The key to a successful project launch is doing the homework up-front during the conception and design stage. Work with your engineering, molding vendor, resin suppliers, and other resources to properly identify and work through all aspects. THIS WILL LEAD TO A TIMELY AND SUCCESSFULLY PRODUCT LAUNCH!